YONKERS, N.Y. -- Yonkers Mayor Mike Spano announced that he has ordered the Level 1 Activation of the Yonkers Emergency Operations Center beginning on Thursday at 6 a.m., according to a release.
Under Level 1 Activation, the Yonkers Emergency Operations Center will be staffed by the Department of Public Works, Fire Department, Office of Emergency Management, Police Department, Parks Department and Mayor’s Office.
“Our emergency personnel and clean-up crews are mobilized and ready to respond to the forecasted winter storm,” Spano said in a statement. “We encourage all residents to stay safe and off the roads, especially during and immediately after the storm, if possible.”
Mayor Spano said that starting at midnight 100 City employees will work during each 12 or 16 hour shift, manning 25 large plows and salters; 15 small plows and salters; five front-end loaders (heavy tractors); and two large salters.
The City of Yonkers also announced the following regulations, cancellations and closures for Thursday, February 13:
- Alternate side parking rules are suspended for tomorrow, Thursday, February 13; however, residents are strongly encouraged to park their vehicle(s) in their driveway or garage, where possible
- Metered parking and all other parking regulations will remain in effect for the duration of the storm
- As always, residents should not park on designated snow emergency routes
Recycling and Garbage Collection
- Recycling collection (paper and cardboard) for the week will take place as scheduled on Thursday
- Garbage collection will take place as scheduled on Friday unless otherwise noted
- The Recycling Center will be closed on Thursday and Friday
Program Cancellations and Closures
- All Parks Department programs are cancelled for Thursday, including:
- All Senior Programs and Senior Centers
- Day and evening Parks Recreation Programs at Parks Department Community Centers and Yonkers Public Schools
- Aquatics at Mark Twain and Yonkers Avenue Pools
- Project Friendship/ Young Adult Club
- Indoor Permit Holders at Yonkers Public Schools
- Murray’s Skating Rink
- Coyne Park Rifle Range
- All Office for the Aging services and programs are cancelled for Thursday, including:
- Senior Centers
- Nutrition programs at the Nepperhan Community Center and Scotti Center (Bronx River Road)
- Home-delivered meals
- Transportation services
- Tax-Aide tax assistance program with AARP
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.