YONKERS, N.Y. -- Melissa Hernandez of Yonkers has been selected for inclusion on Chowan University’s 2017 Who's Who.
Hernandez, a senior history major at Chowan, was among the 27 students who were chosen by the Honors Committee for the prestigious award this year.
Chowan University, located in Murfreesboro, N.C., annually participates in the national Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges program as a way of recognizing the outstanding achievement of its students, according to a release from Chowan
The university looks for students who have excelled in the classroom and who have expanded their college experiences by being active in campus and community projects and events.
Students are first nominated by members of the faculty and staff. Using specific requirements, the nominations are then reviewed by the Honors Committee.
These requirements include scholarship ability with an overall GPA of 3.0 or better, active participation and leadership in academic and extracurricular activities, citizenship and service to the university, and potential for future achievement, the release said.
The honorees were presented with a certificate at the Who’s Who Recognition Ceremony on Wednesday, Feb. 15, in Turner Auditorium on Chowan's campus.
Here's a list of Hernandez's many notable achievements while a student at Chowan:
- Alpha Chi Honor Society National Convention Presenter
- Alpha Chi Honor Society President
- Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society
- Brown Lady Academic Bowl All-Star Team
- Brown Lady Academic Bowl History Team Captain
- Campus Ministry
- Chowan Ethics Bowl Team
- Chowan University Faith in Your Future Award
- Chowan University Student Research Conference Presenter
- President’s List
- Commencement Marshal
- Cuba Mission Trip
- Dean’s List
- E3 Worship Team
- Harris Scholar
- History Club President
- Honors College
- Honors College Outstanding Sophomore Award
- Honors College Outstanding Junior Award
- Honors College Outstanding Senior Award
- Honors College Student Association Co-President
- Honors College Student in Service Award
- Honors College Committee
- Miss Chowan University
- Phi Alpha Theta Honor Society Treasurer
- Pi Gamma Mu Honor Society
- Pi Gamma Mu Honor Society History Award
- Presidential Ambassador
- Resident Director
- Rotaract Club
- Sigma Tau Delta Honor Society
- The Brown Lady Magazine Editorial Board
- Who’s Who 2016
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.