YONKERS, N.Y. – Cross County Shopping Center is inviting area artists to participate in a chalk art competition at the center’s annual Sidewalk Chalk Art Festival.
This event is part of the SummerFest series taking place through August. The Sidewalk Chalk Art Competition involves local and regional artists who are professionals, students and amateurs, and who will create art throughout Cross County Shopping Center.
From 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, June 27, artists are invited to draw temporary works of art in chalk medium throughout the center. The theme of the festival, sponsored by Applebees, is "Chillin’ and Grillin’."
Four prizes will be awarded at the end of the day (People’s Choice, $150; first place, $500; second place, $350; and third place, $250).
There is a $25 participation fee. Chalk and other materials will be provided to all artists.
“Summer is right around the corner, and we are thrilled to hold our third annual Sidewalk Chalk Art Competition this year, which will provide an opportunity for the community to see amazing works of art created in chalk by both professionals and amateur artists,” said Liz Pollack, senior marketing manager for Cross County Shopping Center.
Guidelines are as follows:
- Artists may compete as individuals or in teams.
- Each participant will be assigned a specific space (first come, first served); sizes will vary.
- Participants must be 13 or older to compete with parent or legal guardian present.
- Participants will be provided with chalk and may bring their own supplies. Only nonoil-based soft chalk or pastels in solid form may be used. (Use of acrylic paints, poster paint, liquid pastels, oil-based pastels, hard pastels, etc. is not permitted. Use of these substances is grounds for disqualification.)
- Artwork must be appropriate for all viewing ages, and no political or commercial advertisements are permitted. A sample of work must be provided with application.
- Applicants are required to sign a photography release and hold harmless agreement. A legal guardian may sign for participants younger than 18.
- Event organizers reserve the right to take and use photographs of art.
SummerFest 2015 will include outdoor concerts, fireworks, children’s entertainment and more.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.