YONKERS, N.Y. -- Mayor Mike Spano recently named Paideia School 15 the Yonkers School of the Month for May.
“We have incredible schools in Yonkers and some of the most dedicated and talented administrators, teachers and staff around,” Spano said in a statement. “But it’s our students that truly set Yonkers apart. The students at Paideia 15 not only excel academically, they are committed to volunteerism and giving back to the community.”
Hundreds of students, teachers, administrators and families participated in the inaugural Paideia Walk held on May 28, when the school raised more than $10,000 to benefit families recovering from recent disasters in Yonkers, the region and around the country.
Paideia School 15 embraces a culture of community service, participating in annual coat, food and toy drives; the Jump Rope for Hearts program for the American Heart Association; an animal cruelty prevention program with the District Attorney’s Office; and donation drives for the new Yonkers Animal Shelter.
In addition to community service, Paideia School 15 students also shine in the classroom, boasting high pass rates on state Regents Exams and participating in in the Neighborhood Bridges Program with Purchase College, Jacob Burns Film and Literacy Program, and Read-A-Loud Day.
- 1 Yonkers' First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 2 Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones Buy New Westchester Home
- 3 Yonkers Among Westchester Parishes Waiting On Possible Closure
- 4 Activists Warn Of Abuse Allegations Against Ex-Priest Who Lives In Yonkers
- 5 Yonkers Woman Charged In Wallet Theft Says Child Not Involved Crime