DOBBS FERRY, N.Y. -- Amanie Riley, a Mercy College senior and Yonkers resident, has been awarded the Lighthouse International Scholarship.
The Lighthouse International Scholarship recognizes the outstanding students who have overcome the challenges of vision loss by awarding them scholarships for college and graduate studies.
Riley, who is pursuing a degree in psychology and education, won the Lighthouse International Scholarship award for $10,000. The award is given to seven students each year who are blind or visually impaired. This year 60 students applied.
“I am honored and very humbled by this recognition," said Riley. "It goes to show you that hard work pays off. I want people to know that despite my visual impairment, I can do anything as long as I put my mind to it.”
Riley hopes to be a teacher of the blind and visually impaired after she graduates from Mercy College.
- 1 Woman Charged In Fatal Yonkers Hit-And-Run
- 2 Teenage Girl Accidentally Shot While Playing With Gun, Yonkers Police Says
- 3 Two Yonkers Police Officers Plead Guilty To Perjury, Misconduct
- 4 Yonkers Fatal Hit-And-Run May Have Been Intentional, Police Say
- 5 Nearly 1M Bicycles Recalled After Rider Is Paralyzed