DOBBS FERRY, N.Y. -- Amanie Riley, a Mercy College senior and Yonkers resident, has been awarded the Lighthouse International Scholarship.
The Lighthouse International Scholarship recognizes the outstanding students who have overcome the challenges of vision loss by awarding them scholarships for college and graduate studies.
Riley, who is pursuing a degree in psychology and education, won the Lighthouse International Scholarship award for $10,000. The award is given to seven students each year who are blind or visually impaired. This year 60 students applied.
“I am honored and very humbled by this recognition," said Riley. "It goes to show you that hard work pays off. I want people to know that despite my visual impairment, I can do anything as long as I put my mind to it.”
Riley hopes to be a teacher of the blind and visually impaired after she graduates from Mercy College.
- 1 Yonkers Man, 22, Drowns In Surf Off New Jersey Shore
- 2 22-Year-Old Drowning Victim ID'd; Yonkers Schools Superintendent's Stepson
- 3 Three Hospitalized After Yonkers Crash Involving Car, Tractor-Trailer
- 4 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 5 Members Of Yonkers Gang Charged With Murder, Other Felonies