DOBBS FERRY, N.Y. -- Amanie Riley, a Mercy College senior and Yonkers resident, has been awarded the Lighthouse International Scholarship.
The Lighthouse International Scholarship recognizes the outstanding students who have overcome the challenges of vision loss by awarding them scholarships for college and graduate studies.
Riley, who is pursuing a degree in psychology and education, won the Lighthouse International Scholarship award for $10,000. The award is given to seven students each year who are blind or visually impaired. This year 60 students applied.
“I am honored and very humbled by this recognition," said Riley. "It goes to show you that hard work pays off. I want people to know that despite my visual impairment, I can do anything as long as I put my mind to it.”
Riley hopes to be a teacher of the blind and visually impaired after she graduates from Mercy College.
- 1 Suicide Likely In Deaths Of Two 22-Year-Olds In Yonkers, Authorities Say
- 2 Snow Could Be Returning To Yonkers
- 3 Mount Vernon Man Pleads Guilty To Assaulting Yonkers Police Officer
- 4 Daughters Of Edgemont Driver Of SUV In Fatal Crash Will Be On 'Today' Show
- 5 Yonkers Man Charged In Greenburgh Shooting