YONKERS N.Y. -- The Yonkers Police Department is giving residents useful safety tips as a snow storm approaches the area.
- There are some high winds expected so pay particular attention to downed power lines.
- Please do not drive during the storm if possible to allow for easier snow clean up operations.
- Have flashlights, a battery-operated radio or television and fresh batteries handy.
- If you must use candles, please be careful and keep them far away from children and flammable materials.
- Store adequate supplies of non-perishable food that don't need refrigeration.
- Have bottled water for drinking and cooking.
- If an electric pump supplies your water, fill bathtubs and other containers to ensure there is adequate water for washing and toilets.
- Set freezer and refrigerator controls to their coldest setting to extend the length of time the food will keep.
- Unplug sensitive electronic equipment – televisions, microwave ovens and computers – that could be damaged by lightning or sudden power surges.
- Have a working telephone. Note: Cordless and digital phones will probably not work during a power interruption. Ensure your cell phone is fully charged.
- Know how to manually operate your garage door if you have an electric garage door opener.
- If someone in your home depends on life-sustaining equipment powered by electricity, call ConEd and let them know. It’s your responsibility to provide an emergency power source during any unplanned power interruption.
Con Ed Emergency: 1-800-752-6633
Yonkers Police Non-emergency: 914-377-7900
Mayor's Help Line: 914-377-6000
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.