YONKERS, N.Y. -- The Yonkers Police Department is investigating four street robberies that occurred overnight Tuesday, officials said.
Two of the robberies appear to be connected, both involving a suspect on a bicycle who displayed a handgun. Police say physical force was used by the suspects during the other two incidents.
Anyone with information can contact the Detective Division at 914-377-7724, all calls will remain confidential. Anonymous tips can also be sent to the YPD by texting the keyword ypd plus the tip to 847411.
Police are reminding residents to:
- Keep jewelry tucked in your clothing and out of sight.
- Keep your cell phone, iPod and other electronic devices out of sight while you are in public. Thieves target these items.
- If you must use a device in public, keep one earpiece out so you can still hear someone approaching and what is going on around you.
- Keep all electronic devices and phones stored out of sight, where they cannot be easily snatched.
- Limit the valuables you carry. Carry only as much cash as you need and don’t flash it while out shopping.
- Keep cash, credit cards and ID in different areas in your purse or clothing.
- Show confidence -- Walk at a steady pace, keep your head up and make eye contact as you walk.
- Know your destination and have a planned route of travel.
- Know the train and bus schedule so you do not have to wait around for any significant length of time.
- Walk with friends or family in well-lit, open areas.
- Write down phone and other electronic device serial numbers and your credit card numbers and bank phone numbers and leave them in a secure area at home.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.