YONKERS, N.Y. – Twenty recruits were handed their badges Thursday and welcomed to the Yonkers Police Department.
Nineteen men and one woman were sworn in as probationary members of the department during a ceremony led by Mayor Mike Spano and Police Commissioner Charles Gardner inside the Yonkers Riverfront Library.
The recruits will now head off to the Westchester Police Academy in Valhalla for nearly half a year’s worth of training. After that, they will undergo another month of training with the Yonkers Police Department before heading out to the streets.
Police said the recruits are being hired to fill empty spots and projected vacancies within the department’s 602 member force.
- 1 Yonkers Man Killed In Accident At Hotel Construction Site In NYC
- 2 Man, 34, Is Charged With Driving Wrong Way On Hutch, DWI
- 3 Broadway Producer's Westchester Home Hits The Market For $29.5M
- 4 Police Seeking Public's Help In Search For Missing Greenwich Teen Girl
- 5 Funeral Services Held For 20-Year-Old College Student From Westchester