YONKERS, N.Y. – Twenty recruits were handed their badges Thursday and welcomed to the Yonkers Police Department.
Nineteen men and one woman were sworn in as probationary members of the department during a ceremony led by Mayor Mike Spano and Police Commissioner Charles Gardner inside the Yonkers Riverfront Library.
The recruits will now head off to the Westchester Police Academy in Valhalla for nearly half a year’s worth of training. After that, they will undergo another month of training with the Yonkers Police Department before heading out to the streets.
Police said the recruits are being hired to fill empty spots and projected vacancies within the department’s 602 member force.
- 1 Serious Crash Reported On Saw Mill Parkway In Yonkers
- 2 Westchester High Schools Rank High Among New York's Best
- 3 Yonkers Eateries Offer A Variety Of Specials For Super Bowl Sunday
- 4 Winter Storm Watch Issued For Yonkers; 6-12 Inches Of Snow Likely
- 5 Police Search For Person Who May Have Jumped Into Hudson River