YONKERS, N.Y. – Twenty recruits were handed their badges Thursday and welcomed to the Yonkers Police Department.
Nineteen men and one woman were sworn in as probationary members of the department during a ceremony led by Mayor Mike Spano and Police Commissioner Charles Gardner inside the Yonkers Riverfront Library.
The recruits will now head off to the Westchester Police Academy in Valhalla for nearly half a year’s worth of training. After that, they will undergo another month of training with the Yonkers Police Department before heading out to the streets.
Police said the recruits are being hired to fill empty spots and projected vacancies within the department’s 602 member force.
- 1 Three-Alarm Blaze Rips Through Yonkers Home, Displacing Eight Residents
- 2 Yonkers Man Who Hid In Restroom Found Guilty Of Attempted Rape, DA Says
- 3 New Facebook Scam Could Cost You
- 4 Teenager Identified In Fatal Sprain Brook Crash In Yonkers
- 5 Sprain Brook Parkway In Yonkers Reopens After Fatal Crash