YONKERS, N.Y. – A group of quick-acting Yonkers firefighters saved a choking baby Saturday.
Firefighters from Radford Street’s Engine 304 received a call at 3:36 p.m. of a child choking at a Bruce Avenue home. Three minutes later, firefighters arrived to find the 1 1/2-year-old child struggling to breathe and in severe respiratory distress, fire officials said.
Firefighters worked to give the child oxygen while attempting to re-position and clear his airways, officials said. A short time later, the child began to breathe normally.
The child, who was not identified, was taken by ambulance to an area hospital. No more information on the child’s condition were available.
Fire Chief John Flynn, however, said it appears the story had a happy ending.
“It appeared to the fire department members that the child was in good health at that time and that this would be a very positive outcome,” Flynn said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.