Yonkers Firefighter Injured In Park Hill Blaze

  • Comment
A Yonkers firefighter was taken to the hospital after suffering throat burns while battling a blaze at this 108 Alta Ave., home. Photo Credit: Matt Bultman

YONKERS, N.Y. – A Yonkers firefighter was taken to the hospital Sunday evening after suffering throat burns while fighting a blaze in the Park Hill neighborhood.

Assistant Fire Chief Greg Kanter said the firefighter was injured when a piece of flaming insulation became trapped in his mask.  Kanter was hopeful Sunday night that the injuries were minor.

The structure fire started in a dryer vent of the home at 108 Alta Ave. shortly after 7 p.m. Sunday.  From there, the fire spread to the basement ceiling and into the first floor of the single-family home.

A woman who lived in the house was home when the fire broke out and alerted firefighters.  Kanter said firefighters were able to contain the blaze in roughly three minutes and the homeowner escaped unharmed.

“Fortunately it happened when it did and she wasn’t sleeping at the time,” he said. “It could have been a lot worse.”

  • Comment


In Other News

Police & Fire

Dog Dies After Being Mauled By Pit Bull In Yonkers


Yonkers Entrepreneur Honored By AllState Agency


Spring Temperatures Will Finally Return To Yonkers This Weekend