YONKERS, N.Y. – A Yonkers firefighter was taken to the hospital Sunday evening after suffering throat burns while fighting a blaze in the Park Hill neighborhood.
Assistant Fire Chief Greg Kanter said the firefighter was injured when a piece of flaming insulation became trapped in his mask. Kanter was hopeful Sunday night that the injuries were minor.
The structure fire started in a dryer vent of the home at 108 Alta Ave. shortly after 7 p.m. Sunday. From there, the fire spread to the basement ceiling and into the first floor of the single-family home.
A woman who lived in the house was home when the fire broke out and alerted firefighters. Kanter said firefighters were able to contain the blaze in roughly three minutes and the homeowner escaped unharmed.
“Fortunately it happened when it did and she wasn’t sleeping at the time,” he said. “It could have been a lot worse.”
- 1 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 Yonkers Resident Has Been Decorating His Home For 15 Years
- 3 Construction Starts On $27M Yonkers Affordable Housing Complex
- 4 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Yonkers
- 5 13 New Yonkers Police Officers Graduate From County Academy