YONKERS, N.Y. – A Yonkers firefighter was taken to the hospital Sunday evening after suffering throat burns while fighting a blaze in the Park Hill neighborhood.
Assistant Fire Chief Greg Kanter said the firefighter was injured when a piece of flaming insulation became trapped in his mask. Kanter was hopeful Sunday night that the injuries were minor.
The structure fire started in a dryer vent of the home at 108 Alta Ave. shortly after 7 p.m. Sunday. From there, the fire spread to the basement ceiling and into the first floor of the single-family home.
A woman who lived in the house was home when the fire broke out and alerted firefighters. Kanter said firefighters were able to contain the blaze in roughly three minutes and the homeowner escaped unharmed.
“Fortunately it happened when it did and she wasn’t sleeping at the time,” he said. “It could have been a lot worse.”
- 1 Driver Killed In Sprain Brook Parkway Crash In Yonkers ID'd
- 2 Serious Crash Reported On Sprain Brook Parkway In Yonkers
- 3 Yonkers Church Holds Final Mass Before Closure
- 4 Family Files $20M Suit Against Yonkers In Police Raid Fatal Fall Incident
- 5 Woman, Mother Of 8, Dies While In Police Custody In Mount Vernon