YONKERS, N.Y. -- A suspect who was running from Yonkers police after allegedly breaking into vehicles on Tuesday, June 10, suffered an apparent heart attack and died, according to police officials.
Yonkers police officers were responding to a 911 call that a male was breaking into vehicles on Bolmer Avenue. The suspect allegedly attempted to flee the scene and was caught by police near Corbalis Place, according to police.
A struggle allegedly ensued between officers and the suspect before he was taken into custody. While being treated by Empress Ambulance personnel at the scene, the suspect went into an apparent cardiac arrest. He was taken to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead, Police said.
An investigation of the incident is being conducted by members of the Yonkers Police Department Internal Affairs Division in conjunction with the Westchester County District Attorney’s Office.
An initial investigation reveals that multiple vehicles were targeted, and evidence was recovered at the scene.
The suspect's identity is being withheld pending family notification.
- 1 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 Construction Starts On $27M Yonkers Affordable Housing Complex
- 3 Yonkers Resident Has Been Decorating His Home For 15 Years
- 4 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Yonkers
- 5 13 New Yonkers Police Officers Graduate From County Academy