YONKERS, N.Y. -- A suspect who was running from Yonkers police after allegedly breaking into vehicles on Tuesday, June 10, suffered an apparent heart attack and died, according to police officials.
Yonkers police officers were responding to a 911 call that a male was breaking into vehicles on Bolmer Avenue. The suspect allegedly attempted to flee the scene and was caught by police near Corbalis Place, according to police.
A struggle allegedly ensued between officers and the suspect before he was taken into custody. While being treated by Empress Ambulance personnel at the scene, the suspect went into an apparent cardiac arrest. He was taken to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead, Police said.
An investigation of the incident is being conducted by members of the Yonkers Police Department Internal Affairs Division in conjunction with the Westchester County District Attorney’s Office.
An initial investigation reveals that multiple vehicles were targeted, and evidence was recovered at the scene.
The suspect's identity is being withheld pending family notification.
- 1 Serious Crash Reported On Saw Mill Parkway In Yonkers
- 2 Westchester High Schools Rank High Among New York's Best
- 3 Yonkers Eateries Offer A Variety Of Specials For Super Bowl Sunday
- 4 Winter Storm Watch Issued For Yonkers; 6-12 Inches Of Snow Likely
- 5 Police Search For Person Who May Have Jumped Into Hudson River