TARRYTOWN, N.Y. – Motorists who feel a little sleepy can pick up free coffee or hot tea on the New York State Thruway Monday night.
A 42-year tradition continues at all of the Thruway travel plazas on New Year's Eve as officials remind motorists to take breaks from driving to prevent sleepiness.
“Sleepiness and fatigue are major contributors to highway accidents,” Thruway Executive Director Thomas Madison said in a statement. “All motorists should put safety first at all times.”
Free coffee and tea will be available from 11 p.m. Monday through 7 a.m. Tuesday at all of the 27 travel plazas because of a partnership with travel plaza operators and the Thruway Authority.
Thruway officials remind motorists that they should only stop on the roadway shoulder in cases of emergency.
- 1 Missing Yonkers Man Is Located
- 2 Multi-Vehicle Crash Results In Saw Mill Closure
- 3 Somers Pepsi Site Sells For Nearly $87M; Carlos Slim Said To Be Owner
- 4 Greenburgh Officer Relieved Of Duty For Posting Racist Photo On Facebook
- 5 'Property Brothers' Looking For Westchester Residents To Appear In TV Show