YONKERS, N.Y. -- State Sen. George Latimer (D-Westchester) announced Thursday the City of Yonkers has begun recruiting new firefighters.
Men and women can apply and take the test to become a paid firefighter with the Yonkers Fire Department.
To take the test, a person must:
1) Be at least 17 1/25 or less than 29 years old by March 19.
2) Apply to the take the exam by Dec. 4.
3) Pay a $50 fee to apply for the exam.
4) Have a high school or equivalency diploma prior to getting appointed to the job.
5) Have a valid New York driver’s license.
6) Preference is given to candidates who live in Yonkers.
"This is a great opportunity to begin a great career, an exciting career, for a truly great city,” said Latimer.
To be considered for the position, both a written and physical strength/agility exam is required. People who are interested can apply in person at the Firefighter Recruitment Office or the Civil Service Office at 1 Larkin Center.
Starting salary for a firefighter is $64,724 a year, with a solid benefits package.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.