YONKERS, N.Y. – A tanker carrying countless gallons of home heating oil skidded off any icy road and into the front yard of a Yonkers home Monday.
A Valley Oil tanker struck a tree in the front yard of 8 Byrd Place after 5 p.m., leaking red fuel onto the yard and into the street. The tanker lost control on the steep hill and skidded out of control before slamming into the front yard trees, police said.
The smell of fuel filled the hilly street, off Central Park Avenue, as crews from the Yonkers Fire Department, Emergency Services Unit, worked to block off the area.
Jessica Janeira, who lives in the house and was inside with her parents and sister when the truck hit the tree, said she heard a “thunderous bang.”
She said she ran out of the house and saw red fuel leaking from the truck and pouring into their front yard.
“We started freaking out,” she said. “We didn’t know if it had hit the house. We panicked and grabbed the dog and called 911.”
No members of the family were injured, Janeira said. The driver was not hurt, either, police said.
Check back with the The Yonkers Daily Voice for more updates.
- 1 Yonkers Man Who Hid In Restroom Found Guilty Of Attempted Rape, DA Says
- 2 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 3 Teenager Identified In Fatal Sprain Brook Crash In Yonkers
- 4 Three Hospitalized After Yonkers Crash Involving Car, Tractor-Trailer
- 5 Yonkers Man Found Naked Arraigned On Murder Charge, DA Says