YONKERS, N.Y. -- A woman trapped inside after a fire broke out in a Yonkers apartment Friday morning has been rescued, according to the Yonkers Fire Department.
The flames sparked around 10:05 a.m. on the third floor of the apartment building at 355 Bronx River Road, officials say
While en route, the fire department received a second call stating that a woman was trapped in apartment 3D.
Upon arrival, Ladder 73 and Engine 313 reported smoke visible on the third floor, officials said.
As Engine 313 connected to the standpipe and stretched a hose line down the hall, Ladder 73 forced entry to the apartment.
Firefighter Rich Padilla held the fire in check with a fire extinguisher while Lt. Dan Nee and firefighter Gerry Boyle crawled past the fire to reach the woman trapped in a rear bedroom, officials said.
Nee placed his air mask on the woman and she was removed from the fire apartment, according to officials.
Nee and the female occupant were transported to Jacobi Medical Center for smoke inhalation. Nee also sustained a laceration to his hand. Engine 313 quickly extinguished the fire that started near the sofa and spread to a Christmas tree.
The fire is still under investigation but it appears accidental. It took 36 firefighters approximately 90 minutes to extinguish the fire, check for extension, and ventilate smoke from all floors above the fire.
There was significant smoke and window damage to 3D and water damage in 3D, 2D, and 1D, according to officials.