Contact Us
Yonkers Daily Voice serves Yonkers, NY
Return to your home site

Menu

Yonkers Daily Voice serves Yonkers, NY

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Dog Dies, Five Firefighters Injured In Yonkers Fire

A dog perished in a house fire in Yonkers.
A dog perished in a house fire in Yonkers. Photo Credit: Google Maps street view

An early morning fire in Yonkers caused by a space heater ended with the death of a dog and injuries to five firefighters.

The initial call came in around 2:19 a.m. Thursday for what was believed to be an oil burner fire in a two-story wood frame residential dwelling at 10 Lewis St., said Yonkers Deputy Fire Chief Joseph DeLasho.

The first units on the scene at 2:25 a.m. encountered fire on the first floor extending to the second floor and loft area, he said.

Two residents were able to get out of the burning building, but unfortunately, their dog did not survive, DeLasho said.

The fire went to two alarms which brought 53 firefighters to the scene, the fire was declared under control at 4:17 a.m.

Five firefighters were injured during the event with two firefighters transported to Jacobi Hospital, one with burns to his hands, the other with a minor injury. Three other firefighters were transported to area hospitals with minor injuries. No civilians were injured, the chief added.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a faulty space heater in a first-floor bathroom.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Yonkers Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.