YONKERS, N.Y. - Barbara Joan Stefanik (nee Sheehan), a lifelong Yonkers resident, died Friday, Aug. 15. She was 82.
Stefanik was born May 23, 1932, to Timothy and Mary Deyorio Sheehan, in Yonkers, where she was raised and educated, graduating from Commerce High School. She then attended Mercy College and graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Education. She went on to receive a Masters Degree from Mercy College and a second Masters Degree from Long Island University. She was a principal at St. Ursula's Special Education School in Mount Vernon for 15 years until her retirement in 2005.
Stefanik is survived by her husband, Vincent of Yonkers; sister, Patricia Sheehan of Andes; brother, Arthur Sheehan of Arlington, Texas; and numerous nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her son, David Mark Stefanik.
Calling hours are Tuesday, Aug. 19 from 6 to 9 p.m. and Wednesday, Aug. 20 from 2 to 4 and 6 to 0 p.m. at Whalen & Ball Funeral Home. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 21 in Sacred Heart Church.
- 1 Serious Multi-Vehicle Accident Closes Saw Mill River Parkway
- 2 Apple's iPhone 6 Release Packs Ridge Hill Mall In Yonkers
- 3 Westchester Attorney Charged With Stealing Over $1M From Escrow Accounts
- 4 NYPD Officer, Former Section 1 Basketball Star, Killed In Bronx Crash
- 5 Sprain Brook Parkway Checkpoint Results In 12 Charges