YONKERS, N.Y. - Barbara Joan Stefanik (nee Sheehan), a lifelong Yonkers resident, died Friday, Aug. 15. She was 82.
Stefanik was born May 23, 1932, to Timothy and Mary Deyorio Sheehan, in Yonkers, where she was raised and educated, graduating from Commerce High School. She then attended Mercy College and graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Education. She went on to receive a Masters Degree from Mercy College and a second Masters Degree from Long Island University. She was a principal at St. Ursula's Special Education School in Mount Vernon for 15 years until her retirement in 2005.
Stefanik is survived by her husband, Vincent of Yonkers; sister, Patricia Sheehan of Andes; brother, Arthur Sheehan of Arlington, Texas; and numerous nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her son, David Mark Stefanik.
Calling hours are Tuesday, Aug. 19 from 6 to 9 p.m. and Wednesday, Aug. 20 from 2 to 4 and 6 to 0 p.m. at Whalen & Ball Funeral Home. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 21 in Sacred Heart Church.
- 1 Driver Killed In Sprain Brook Parkway Crash In Yonkers ID'd
- 2 Serious Crash Reported On Sprain Brook Parkway In Yonkers
- 3 Yonkers Church Holds Final Mass Before Closure
- 4 Family Files $20M Suit Against Yonkers In Police Raid Fatal Fall Incident
- 5 Woman, Mother Of 8, Dies While In Police Custody In Mount Vernon