YONKERS, N.Y. - Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Yonkers last week:
- Yonkers residents are joining celebrities like Justin Timberlake, Matt Lauer, Martha Stewart and Kennedy family members who have taken the Ice Bucket Challenge that's helped raise $2.3 million for the national ALS Association since July 29.
- Five new businesses have leased space at the Ridge Hill shopping complex in Yonkers, reports the Westchester County Business Journal.
- Mayor Mike Spano and Spike TV's Jon Taffer along with the hit show "Bar Rescue" visited Brian and Miguel and the entire staff at SOYO at 38 Main St. in Yonkers for a special ribbon-cutting ceremony.
- A&E's newest program, "Cement Heads," is a reality show that follows WJL Equities, a family owned construction company based in Eastchester. It will be telecast on Tuesday evenings at 10:30 p.m.
- Westchester pet owners had the opportunity to receive affordable medical assistance for their cats and dogs over the last week when the Southampton Animal Shelter Foundation (NY) partnered with medical volunteers and the Yonkers PAL to spay and neuter 170 animals in a clinic.
- To promote the important benefits of breastfeeding and to honor mothers who choose to breastfeed their babies, the Westchester County Health Department WIC program held breastfeeding celebrations for clients in its Yonkers, Port Chester and White Plains clinics during World Breastfeeding Week.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.