YONKERS, N.Y. -- If you live in Yonkers, and are planning on popping the big question on Valentine's Day, you may want to find another town to get married in, according to a recent survey by the personal-finance website WalletHub.
Sadly, Yonkers ranked among one of the most worst cities to get married in (149th out of 150), with Newark, N.J., Worcester, MA and Anchorage, AK not faring much better.
Between sending invitations, securing reservations, planning a menu and obsessing over details, it’s no wonder the big day is arranged years in advance. Tying the knot is a huge commitment, with couples spending an average of $26,444 on their weddings.
So, in order to lubricate the planning process, WalletHub's number crunchers compared the 150 biggest cities to find the cheapest and most convenient wedding destinations.
The data they used ranged from average wedding cost to number of venues and event spaces per capita to availability of hotels. Their top wedding destinations? Orlando, FL, Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, Nev.
Other findings include the following:
- The average wedding cost is highest in San Francisco, Calif., which is two times greater than in Springfield, Mo., the city with the lowest.
- The number of venues and event spaces per capita is highest in Orlando, Fla., which is 84 times greater than in Cape Coral, Fla., the city with the lowest.
- The number of event planners per capita is highest in Washington, which is 14 times greater than in Stockton, Calif., the city with the lowest.
- The number of photographers per capita is highest in San Francisco, which is 39 times greater than in Newark, N.J., the city with the lowest.
- The number of musicians per capita is highest in San Francisco, which is 104 times greater than in El Paso, Texas, the city with the lowest.
- The number of bridal shops per capita is highest in Salt Lake City, which is 31 times greater than in Detroit, the city with the lowest.
- The number of flower shops per capita is highest in Miami, which is 14 times greater than in North Las Vegas, Nev., the city with the lowest.
Visit: https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-worst-cities-to-get-married/18721/ for the full report.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.