YONKERS, N.Y. -- The Yonkers Police Department is offering tips to residents to help keep their homes safe before leaving on vacation.
Have newspaper and mail delivery stopped while away. Overflowing mailboxes and piled-up newspapers are clues to criminals. You can stop your mail by visiting your local post office and completing a simple form.
Don’t tip off criminals on the Web. Don’t post vacation plans or check-in at locations while away. You never know who can be reading your Facebook and Twitter accounts. Make sure your voice mail also is generic and does not state that you will be away for a period of time.
Use timers on lights at different points in your house. You should stagger the times and locations so it appears someone has been through your house.
Ask a neighbor you trust to watch your house while you are away. Provide the neighbor with a list of emergency contacts in case something goes wrong.
Secure expensive items such as jewelry and/or cash and keep them out of sight if their location is visible from the window.
Remove any spare keys you may have hidden around your residence.
Double-check all doors and windows before leaving to make sure they are all locked.
- 1 Two Shot Outside Yonkers Bar
- 2 4-Year-Old Yonkers Girl In Critical Condition After Accidentally Shooting
- 3 Patient Being Tested For Ebola, Malaria At St. Joseph's In Yonkers
- 4 Police Search For Missing Teen With Medical Needs
- 5 Woman Spits At, Kicks Westchester Officers During DWI Arrest, Say Police