YONKERS, N.Y. - Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Yonkers this week:
- Victor Couto took the road less traveled to obtain his college degree. On Friday, May 16, 10 years after the Yonkers resident left high school, the 27-year-old will serve as the senior speaker at commencement at Purchase College-SUNY.
- A pedestrian in Yonkers was taken to the hospital after he was struck by a city police cruiser on Sunday, May 11.
- Yonkers native and retired tennis start James Blake released a statement concerning the murder-suicide arson that took place at a house he owns in Florida.
- State troopers say they found 300 packets of heroin after a traffic stop on the Sprain Brook Parkway in Mount Pleasant.
- Animal lovers from around the area congregated in Yonkers on Saturday, May 10, for a memorial service for the 25 cats found beaten to death late last month.
- Police administered Narcan and saved the life of a woman in Yonkers who overdosed on heroin.
- A Yonkers Shell gas station caught fire about 30 feet away from gas pumps.
- President Barack Obama helicoptered into Tarrytown Wednesday with Gov. Andrew Cuomo at his side to push Congress to open the Federal coffers for more infrastructure funding.
- The New York State Republican Party officially nominated Rob Astorino for governor Thursday at the Hilton Westchester in Rye Brook.
- 1 Driver Killed In Sprain Brook Parkway Crash In Yonkers ID'd
- 2 Man Charged In Homicide Of Yonkers 22-Year-Old
- 3 Yonkers Church Holds Final Mass Before Closure
- 4 Family Files $20M Suit Against Yonkers In Police Raid Fatal Fall Incident
- 5 Woman, Mother Of 8, Dies While In Police Custody In Mount Vernon