YONKERS, N.Y. - Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Yonkers this week:
- Victor Couto took the road less traveled to obtain his college degree. On Friday, May 16, 10 years after the Yonkers resident left high school, the 27-year-old will serve as the senior speaker at commencement at Purchase College-SUNY .
- A pedestrian in Yonkers was taken to the hospital after he was struck by a city police cruiser on Sunday, May 11.
- Yonkers native and retired tennis start James Blake released a statement concerning the murder-suicide arson that took place at a house he owns in Florida.
- State troopers say they found 300 packets of heroin after a traffic stop on the Sprain Brook Parkway in Mount Pleasant.
- Animal lovers from around the area congregated in Yonkers on Saturday, May 10, for a memorial service for the 25 cats found beaten to death late last month.
- Police administered Narcan and saved the life of a woman in Yonkers who overdosed on heroin .
- A Yonkers Shell gas station caught fire about 30 feet away from gas pumps.
- President Barack Obama helicoptered into Tarrytown Wednesday with Gov. Andrew Cuomo at his side to push Congress to open the Federal coffers for more infrastructure funding.
- The New York State Republican Party officially nominated Rob Astorino for governor Thursday at the Hilton Westchester in Rye Brook.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.