YONKERS, N.Y. -- The Yonkers Police Athletic League's annual Sgt. Michael D'Ambrosio poster contest is under way.
Yonkers City Council President Liam J. McLaughlin and his colleagues joined the Yonkers Police Athletic League in the City Council chambers this week kick off the 31st annual poster contest. Each year, students from around the city participate and two winners will be selected to appear on the poster.
"The PAL poster contest is a Yonkers institution and thousands of posters will be put up in our great City," McLaughlin said. "Hundreds of students will be interviewed this year, dozens finalists will be selected and all participants will learn about public speaking."
Finalists from schools throughout Yonkers will be chosen through an interview process where the students will explain the importance of the police in the community. Officials will select two winners whose photos will appear alongside those of the Yonkers Police Officers of the Year on the PAL poster on display at hundreds of locations throughout the City.
"The Yonkers Police Department is a better department when they work with the people they serve, and that is why we are the fourth safest large city in America," said Majority Leader John Larkin. "This contest builds trust, teaching children that the police are your friend, while showcasing the bright future we have here in Yonkers."
The poster contest and other community outreach programs are annually sponsored by the PAL with the help of their donors and volunteers. Stew Leonard's is the main sponsor of the poster contest.
The following is a list of PAL Poster Contest requirements:
- Children must live in Yonkers and be in the 5th or 6th grade of a Catholic or public school in Yonkers
- Submit a photo of only the child, no larger than 5 inches x 7 inches. School photos will be accepted
- The following information must be printed on the back side of the photo: Child's name, address, age, phone number, school and grade.
- Include a self-addressed envelope if you want to photo returned.
- Photos may be submitted at any Yonkers Police Precinct, to the child's teacher or mailed to the following address: PAL New Faces 127 North Broadway Yonkers, NY 10701
- Photos must be submitted by March 21st, 2014
- Approximately 20 finalists will be notified and asked to attend an interview on April 11.
- Ten finalists will be selected and asked to attend a rehearsal scheduled for the week of April 28 to May 4.
- The final competition will take place on Monday, May 5, 2014 at 7:00 p.m. at Yonkers City Hall
Send the information to PAL New Faces, 127 N. Broadway, Yonkers, 10701, Attention, Margaret Staruch.
For more information call the PAL at 914-375-1080
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.