YONKERS, N.Y. – The city of Yonkers will host a candlelight vigil Sunday evening to remember the victims of the school shooting in Newtown, Conn.
Yonkers Mayor Mike Spano, the Yonkers City Council and officials from the Yonkers Public Schools will gather at 5:30 p.m. on the Yonkers City Hall Plaza, 40 South Broadway. They will be joined by neighborhood clergy, community leaders and residents.
Officials said the candlelight vigil is an opportunity for Yonkers residents to meet, mourn and remember as a community in response to the 20 young students and six adults killed Friday in the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown.
- 1 Three-Alarm Blaze Rips Through Yonkers Home, Displacing Eight Residents
- 2 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 3 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 4 Police Investigating Fatal Shootings Off Hutchinson River Parkway
- 5 Yonkers Man Who Hid In Restroom Found Guilty Of Attempted Rape, DA Says