YONKERS, N.Y. -- Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Yonkers last week:
- The Yonkers resident income tax surcharge is increasing from 15 percent to 16.75 percent for the 2014 tax year, affecting Yonkers individuals, estates and trusts.
- A Yonkers man was charged with first-degree assault after he was accused of shooting his son in their home following an argument, according to police.
- Yonkers ranks No. 37 among the exciting places to live in New York, according to a report by Movoto. Port Chester is the lone Westchester representative named among the top 10.
- Residents of Westchester County and across New York State could see their health insurance premiums spike by an average of 13 percent according to capitalnewyork.com.
- Brendan Cronin, the New York City police officer and Yonkers resident who is accused of shooting two people, including a New Rochelle man in Pelham, pleaded not guilty to attempted murder and assault charges.
- The Yonkers Police Department is offering tips to residents to help keep their homes safe before leaving on vacation.
- Yonkers blogger Delfim Heusler has announced he will run for state Assembly in the November election.