YONKERS, N.Y. - Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Yonkers this week:
- Yonkers police found as many as 30 dead cats in plastic bags hanging from tree branches in a wooded area off Overlook Terrace Thursday morning. They are believed to have been deliberately killed with blunt force trauma.
- Three Yonkers schools were recognized among the top high schools in New York, with Yonkers High School receiving a prestigious gold medal in U.S. News & World Report's annual study.
- Yonkers police, Child Protective Services and the Westchester District Attorney's office are investigating the death of a 2-year-old child on Sunday, police officials said.
- Several passing motorists helped rescue a 20-year-old Armonk man who attempted to jump off of the Tappan Zee Bridge on Tuesday, April 22, according to a News 12 report.
- A Yonkers man was killed in a motorcycle accident on Sunday, April 20, in Putnam County.
- The Elizabeth Seton Pediatric Center practices green strategies and has been awarded with various honors from outside organizations for its efforts.
- The Department of Environmental Protection is investigating the source of water that has been flowing constantly through the yard of a Yonkers resident.