Update: 11 p.m.
YONKERS, N.Y. – The Applebee's and Macy’s in the Cross County Shopping Center were evacuated Wednesday night just after 9 p.m. because of a carbon monoxide leak.
The carbon monoxide came from a gas generator that was being used for construction in an underground tunnel, Yonkers Assistant Fire Chief Edward Cucolo said. A contractor working on the construction of a new Panera Bread restaurant used the generator in a tunnel that did not have proper ventilation and the toxic gas leaked into Macy's and Applebee's restaurant.
The carbon monoxide reached dangerous levels of 120 parts per million, Cuculo said, and some people were given oxygen in ambulances at the scene.
When the Yonkers Fire Department arrived, they shut down the generator and began airing out the tunnel and evacuating the buildings.
Check back with The Yonkers Daily Voice for more information on this developing story.
- 1 Three-Alarm Blaze Rips Through Yonkers Home, Displacing Eight Residents
- 2 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 3 Yonkers Man Who Hid In Restroom Found Guilty Of Attempted Rape, DA Says
- 4 Police Investigating Fatal Shootings Off Hutchinson River Parkway
- 5 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital