Contact Us
Yonkers Daily Voice serves Yonkers, NY
Return to your home site


Yonkers Daily Voice serves Yonkers, NY

Nearby Towns


Carbon Monoxide Leak Found At Cross County Mall

Update: 11 p.m.

YONKERS, N.Y. – The Applebee's and Macy’s in the Cross County Shopping Center were evacuated Wednesday night just after 9 p.m. because of a carbon monoxide leak.

The carbon monoxide came from a gas generator that was being used for construction in an underground tunnel, Yonkers Assistant Fire Chief Edward Cucolo said. A contractor working on the construction of a new Panera Bread restaurant used the generator in a tunnel that did not have proper ventilation and the toxic gas leaked into Macy's and Applebee's restaurant.

The carbon monoxide reached dangerous levels of 120 parts per million, Cuculo said, and some people were given oxygen in ambulances at the scene.

When the Yonkers Fire Department arrived, they shut down the generator and began airing out the tunnel and evacuating the buildings.

Check back with The Yonkers Daily Voice for more information on this developing story.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Yonkers Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.