YONKERS, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Yonkers’ Mike Spano!
Spano, who was born in Yonkers, turns 50 on Tuesday.
Michael Spano, who is the 42nd mayor of Yonkers, was born April 22, 1964. Spano was elected to the State Assembly in 1992 as the assembly's youngest member. Due to the state’s reapportionment plan, his seat was eliminated later that same year. However, he ran again in 1994 and continued to serve in the Assembly for nearly a decade until he chose not run for re-election.
In 2011, Spano was elected mayor of Yonkers. During his tenure, Spano has passed two consecutive bi-partisan budgets that included investment in education and kept taxes within the New York State cap on the property tax levy. Spano is also a member of numerous community organizations such as the Yonkers Chamber of Commerce, Access Westchester, Exchange Club of Yonkers, Sons of Italy, and an honorary member (non-veteran) of the Armando Rauso AMVETS Post. He is also a former board member of the Westchester School for Special Children.
- 1 NYPD Detective Killed, Yonkers Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Crash ID'd
- 2 Yonkers Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 3 Fatal Crash On Sprain Brook Parkway Snarls Morning Commute
- 4 Former NBA All-Star, New York Knicks Player Anthony Mason Dies At 48
- 5 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits Yonkers