YONKERS, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Yonkers’ Eric Newman.
Newman, who was born in Yonkers, turns 37 on Friday.
Newman, a rapper, better-known by his stage name Stagga Lee, was born July 4, 1977. His stage name was adopted after hearing the classic 1959 No. 1 hit "Stagger Lee" by Lloyd Price. He signed with Artistdirect in 2004 and had a minor hit in his debut single, "Roll Wit M.V.P. (We Be Like! The La La Song)," which sampled Minnie Riperton's 1975 hit "Lovin' You," and peaked at No. 13 on the Rhythmic Top 40 in 2003.
Following a 28-city promotional tour, his second single, as a featured artist of the Hip-Hop/Dance collective M.V.P., "Roc Ya Body (Mic Check 1 2)", was released to radio in 2004 and shot to No. 1 on the top dance format station in New York, 103.5 KTU. The song was released in the U.K. in 2005 on EMI and quickly spread to other markets around Europe including Germany (No. 11), Netherlands (No. 1) and Spain (No. 4).
- 1 Yonkers' First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 2 Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones Buy New Westchester Home
- 3 Yonkers Woman Charged In Wallet Theft Says Child Not Involved Crime
- 4 Unconscious Man Found In Yonkers Burning Home
- 5 Activists Warn Of Abuse Allegations Against Ex-Priest Who Lives In Yonkers