YONKERS, N.Y. -- Citizen volunteers interested in becoming part of the city's Community Emergency Response team (C.E.R.T.) may begn their free training Sunday, Oct. 5.
Training is provided through the Yonkers Police Department Office of Emergency Management.
The 20-hour course is designed to teach participants how to pre-plan for a disaster, how to respond to emergency situations, and how they can assist their neighbors and community in a time of emergency.
It will be provided in two-hour sessions and take place at the OEM training facility, 789 Saw Mill River Road.
The C.E.R.T. program's mission is to train members of the Yonkers community to assist emergency personnel in the event of an emergency or large-scale disaster.
The Yonkers Office of Emergency Management will utilize its C.E.R.T. members to assist with:
- Families affected by residential fires
- The setup of reception areas for the American Red Cross
- The setup of emergency shelters for people and animals
- Activation of the emergency operations center in Yonkers.
- Local evacuations Light search and rescue
For more information, the complete course schedule and to register, click here or call (914) 377-7325.