YONKERS, N.Y. -- During the holiday season, most people are preoccupied with shopping or holiday events and forget about safety. That's why the Yonkers Police Department is offering the following tips to help keep the season bright:
- When shopping and out to special events, be alert and aware of your surrounding. Criminals often target people who are distracted.
- Travel on populated, well lit streets. If possible, travel with a friend.
- When driving, keep doors locked and the windows closed. Make sure the gas tank is full.
- Park in a well lit area.
- Always lock car. Before getting into your car, check the back seat to make sure no one is hiding there.
- Carry your purse close to your body. Place one end of the purse in the palm of your hand and the other in the bend of the elbow. Never wrap the strap around your body.
- If you are carrying a wallet, carry it in your front pants pocket. The rear pants pocket is the easiest to pick.
- When in a restaurant, don’t leave your handbag over the back of a chair or on the floor.
- Remind children to be wary of strangers, including those on the internet.
- As a consumer you should avoid illegal vendors selling goods on the street. Purchase merchandise only from licensed vendors or reputable stores. Follow your instincts. Remember, “If it seems too good to be true, it probably is”.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.